Wildflower Garden WIP Finished!

Hi again. An unexpected break in posting because of a bad bout of bronchitis.

So here’s a quick post about a WIP I’ve managed to finish. It’s fun to work in a group and so in August 2013 I joined the first Stitch of the Month series of classes run by Robyn Duncan of the local ACT Embroiderers Guild. Robyn’s a great teacher and she’d designed an abstract pattern for a book cover and we were supposed to use it as a guide for placing stitches.

I just couldn’t get into the abstract design and my piece looked more and more like a jumble. So I started again and drew a wildflower garden for the Sampler and off I went stitching. This is the result..

Wildflower Garden Sampler

There are over 25 different stitches in the Sampler!

Here’s a closer look..

Detail 1 of Wildflower Garden Sampler by Carmen Zanetti

Detail 2 of Wildflower Garden Sampler by Carmen Zanetti

Detail 3 of Wildflower Garden Sampler by Carmen Zanetti

All embroideries have a story and parts of this Sampler were stitched during long hours spent in a hospital ward last year when my Mum was sick. It started an ongoing conversation with hospital staff, other patients and their visitors. Quite a few added a stitch here and there!

The bullion knots in the above ¬†flower head drove me crazy because the poor hospital lighting and no milliner’s needle meant they turned out uneven and messy. I thought about pulling them out and starting again so many times but just couldn’t face the thought of re-doing all those bullions again.

And now I’m glad I didn’t because family and friends who have seen the Sampler have been drawn to this flower head as a favourite element. Who knew!

Here are a few more close-ups..

Detail 4 of Wildflower Garden by Carmen Zanetti

Detail 5 of Wildflower Garden by Carmen Zanetti

Detail 6 of Wildflower Sampler by Carmen Zanetti

 

Detail 7 of Wildflower Garden Sampler by Carmen Zanetti

I enjoyed experimenting with different approaches to long & short stitch in the clover leaf and the art deco flower head was great fun to design and create. LOL it’s a bit warts & all seeing the stitching in such detail but part of the adventure is learning from the mistakes :)

The next step is to turn it into a cushion cover – I’ll share a pic when that’s done.

Bye for now!