Wildflower Garden WIP Finished!

Hi again. An unexpected break in posting because of a bad bout of bronchitis.

So here’s a quick post about a WIP I’ve managed to finish. It’s fun to work in a group and so in August 2013 I joined the first Stitch of the Month series of classes run by Robyn Duncan of the local ACT Embroiderers Guild. Robyn’s a great teacher and she’d designed an abstract pattern for a book cover and we were supposed to use it as a guide for placing stitches.

I just couldn’t get into the abstract design and my piece looked more and more like a jumble. So I started again and drew a wildflower garden for the Sampler and off I went stitching. This is the result..

Wildflower Garden Sampler

There are over 25 different stitches in the Sampler!

Here’s a closer look..

Detail 1 of Wildflower Garden Sampler by Carmen Zanetti

Detail 2 of Wildflower Garden Sampler by Carmen Zanetti

Detail 3 of Wildflower Garden Sampler by Carmen Zanetti

All embroideries have a story and parts of this Sampler were stitched during long hours spent in a hospital ward last year when my Mum was sick. It started an ongoing conversation with hospital staff, other patients and their visitors. Quite a few added a stitch here and there!

The bullion knots in the above  flower head drove me crazy because the poor hospital lighting and no milliner’s needle meant they turned out uneven and messy. I thought about pulling them out and starting again so many times but just couldn’t face the thought of re-doing all those bullions again.

And now I’m glad I didn’t because family and friends who have seen the Sampler have been drawn to this flower head as a favourite element. Who knew!

Here are a few more close-ups..

Detail 4 of Wildflower Garden by Carmen Zanetti

Detail 5 of Wildflower Garden by Carmen Zanetti

Detail 6 of Wildflower Sampler by Carmen Zanetti

 

Detail 7 of Wildflower Garden Sampler by Carmen Zanetti

I enjoyed experimenting with different approaches to long & short stitch in the clover leaf and the art deco flower head was great fun to design and create. LOL it’s a bit warts & all seeing the stitching in such detail but part of the adventure is learning from the mistakes :)

The next step is to turn it into a cushion cover – I’ll share a pic when that’s done.

Bye for now!

5 thoughts on “Wildflower Garden WIP Finished!

  • May 28, 2015 at 9:49 pm
    Permalink

    This looks great. Your choice of colours is fantastic. So glad to see it complete.

    Reply
    • May 29, 2015 at 10:58 pm
      Permalink

      Thanks Jilly it’s a wonderful feeling to have it finished!

      Reply
  • May 29, 2015 at 10:24 am
    Permalink

    Lovely work Robin,love the Art Deco flower!

    Reply
    • May 29, 2015 at 10:59 pm
      Permalink

      So glad you like it Anne.

      Reply
  • July 2, 2015 at 9:44 am
    Permalink

    I just discovered your blog through Sharon at Pintangle. Your work is absolutely gorgeous! I will have to find some time to browse through your older posts. Beautiful.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *